Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Cell Biology and Cell Culture > Confocal - Microscopy Imaging Techniques
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Confocal - Microscopy Imaging Techniques All about Microscopy, Confocal Microscopy, Fluorescence microscopy and Other Imaging Techniques

Anyone know about Amscope microscopes?

Anyone know about Amscope microscopes? - Confocal - Microscopy Imaging Techniques

Anyone know about Amscope microscopes? - All about Microscopy, Confocal Microscopy, Fluorescence microscopy and Other Imaging Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Anyone know about Amscope microscopes?

Just wondering if anyone here has used an Amscope microscope and what they thought about it.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:27 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1

Default Re: Anyone know about Amscope microscopes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaniest1 View Post
Just wondering if anyone here has used an Amscope microscope and what they thought about it.

Thanks!
Did you get an answer about Amscopes? I am also about to purchase one.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1

I'm interesting in getting one too.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1

I've been asking myself the same thing. I really want to get a microscope already, but they are too expensive. I've been looking at these three:

Amscope Model B490A

Amscope Model B100B-MS
Amscope Model B100A-MS

If I'm not mistaken, only the first one has a moveable stage, which in my opinion is essential. (had to remove links but you can find those easily on google).

Can anyone explain why the 2000x is less expensive than the 1600x?

Last edited by trixx; 03-27-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1

Alright, I bought one and so far I can't complain, it's been really great. I just ordered a bunch of supplies so I can start culturing bacteria. If I find anything wrong with it, I'll post here again.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 260, Level: 5 Points: 260, Level: 5 Points: 260, Level: 5

IMO, Accu-scope and Labomed make the best microscopes for those of you who can't afford one of the Big Three. (Nikon, Olympus, Leica). For stereo microscopes, I would go with Unitron for those of you who can't afford the big three or Meiji. Meiji is probably one of the best stereo microscopes you can buy. It's used in the manufacturing of PCBs by many computer companies.

I'm not familiar with Amscope, so I will withhold judgment.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:27 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2

Greetings and salivations....

I have purchased an Amscope T680 ( trinocular ), it resembled the one I use at work the most ( Olympus CH30 ) ( also use a Nikon alphaphot 2.... but prefer the Olympus ).
The quality, feel and overall options are very very close to the Olym CH30. The optics have been great, and very comparible to what I have been using for 15 years. I bring mine to work and actually use it instead of the Olympus, which I am heavy into the microscopy work for hematology, parasitology, microbes, etc etc etc. Only time will tell if it will last 15+ years as the olympus, but so far, all has been great. Stage remains tight, no focus drift, lighting is great and the optics have been just as good ( I actually upgraded to Semi-plan ).

The down falls.... the add described a swing out filter holder, did not have it. But it did have a screw out filter ( not a big deal to me, but they did send me a replacement. ). They sent me a 20x objective instead of the 20x oculars. They paid for the return and switched them out.
( Gotta admit... customer service was great, even talked to the owner ).

I was not happy with the ocular pieces. Not used to the small field of view ( which stamped on the ocular is 10x/18mm... more like 15mm diameter if you use some calipers ). I had some American Optic oculars that are about 22mm diameter, and that makes a world of difference. ( not to mention, the AO stuff is metal construction, not plastic like the Amscope oculars).
Needless to say, the 20x oculars are pretty much worthless, and pretty much gives empty magnification over 40x obj power.
I use 15x/22mm AO oculars with a scale reticle, and have never been happier.

In retrospec... knowing what I know now... I probably would have gone with an Omano OM139 just because it has infinity correction for about what I paid for the Amscope.
The main reasonings: it has 30mm ocular ports ( vs the 23mm ports ) so I could get bigger field of view. And infinity correction.

What I would miss if I did go with the Omano.... the 5 objectives. Dang it is nice having 4x/20x/40x/60x/100x on one scope. I use 60x a lot, and when mixed with the 15x oculars.... I am pretty close to 1000x without oil, with good enough detail. On oil at 100x.... very nice ( 1500x )

And...... thats my views on Amscope. I am happy.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Pipette Filler

Greetings and salivations....

I have purchased an Amscope T680 ( trinocular ), it resembled the one I use at work the most ( Olympus CH30 ) ( also use a Nikon alphaphot 2.... but prefer the Olympus ).
The quality, feel and overall options are very very close to the Olym CH30. The optics have been great, and very comparible to what I have been using for 15 years. I bring mine to work and actually use it instead of the Olympus, which I am heavy into the microscopy work for hematology, parasitology, microbes, etc etc etc. Only time will tell if it will last 15+ years as the olympus, but so far, all has been great. Stage remains tight, no focus drift, lighting is great and the optics have been just as good ( I actually upgraded to Semi-plan ).

The down falls.... the add described a swing out filter holder, did not have it. But it did have a screw out filter ( not a big deal to me, but they did send me a replacement. ). They sent me a 20x objective instead of the 20x oculars. They paid for the return and switched them out.
( Gotta admit... customer service was great, even talked to the owner ).

I was not happy with the ocular pieces. Not used to the small field of view ( which stamped on the ocular is 10x/18mm... more like 15mm diameter if you use some calipers ). I had some American Optic oculars that are about 22mm diameter, and that makes a world of difference. ( not to mention, the AO stuff is metal construction, not plastic like the Amscope oculars).
Needless to say, the 20x oculars are pretty much worthless, and pretty much gives empty magnification over 40x obj power.
I use 15x/22mm AO oculars with a scale reticle, and have never been happier.

In retrospec... knowing what I know now... I probably would have gone with an Omano OM139 just because it has infinity correction for about what I paid for the Amscope.
The main reasonings: it has 30mm ocular ports ( vs the 23mm ports ) so I could get bigger field of view. And infinity correction.

What I would miss if I did go with the Omano.... the 5 objectives. Dang it is nice having 4x/20x/40x/60x/100x on one scope. I use 60x a lot, and when mixed with the 15x oculars.... I am pretty close to 1000x without oil, with good enough detail. On oil at 100x.... very nice ( 1500x )

And...... thats my views on Amscope. I am happy.

Would love to have both and compare side by side.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Pipette Filler

Uh ohh... Guess I may have multiple posts going on.... did not see the "moderator approval" message.
Never had that one before....

My bad.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

First of all I'm not on a witch hunt or a smear campaign but my answer is NO! I have limited knowledge of microscope quality but do know bad business manners and they have none. My soon to be web site thebadmannersreport.com is about companies like Amscope. I understand I ordered during the holidays December 7th I ordered by the 16th I sent an e-mail asking if all was OK and gor a one sentence reply saying it was on it's way. A few days later I sent another e-mail - Another another one sentence reply.
It was being or was sent. I replied thatI had no tracking number and wanted my money back ( I was very polite about it. ) I was told it was on it's way and they could not refund my money. The next day I replied - Since UPS does not have it and I don't have it then they must have it. - give me my money back. They were peturbed and explained that my order was held up for 9 days in a shipping container at customs.
Heres the bottom line
1. If they could not ship in 24 hrs - The polite thing to do was to send an e-mail to its customers.
2. Don't tell me it was shipped but not give me a tracking number in the same e-mail
3. The software CD that came with the order was defective - not just mine but a known issue on the internet.
4. Post a message on their site at the point of purchase for the camera stating the cd was defective and provide a link to download the software( I spent December 25 and 26th trying to track the software. There is NO EXCUSE for their business manners.
It wasn't until I told them I would not accept the UPS delivery that I got a tracking #

LOL - They claim to ship orders in 24hrs . Huh From overseas? - Items don't go thru customs that fast.

They seemed insulted yhat I was not pleased with their company even though they created the image I was seeing.

Through the ordeal I tried to educate them on better business practices and explain that it was / is in their best interest to improve but I'm afraid they refuse to listen.

I recieved no e-mail so far asking if I was pleased / or had decided to return it.

Now I have a question - When installing the lenses in the nose piece is their a color code or something else or do you just stick them in in any of the holes. Another complaint - NO assembly instructions.

Buy somewhere where they appreciate and respect you as a valued customer

Tags
amscope , microscopes

« Microscope Design | - »