Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Cell Biology and Cell Culture > Confocal - Microscopy Imaging Techniques
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Confocal - Microscopy Imaging Techniques All about Microscopy, Confocal Microscopy, Fluorescence microscopy and Other Imaging Techniques

Anyone know about Amscope microscopes?

Anyone know about Amscope microscopes? - Confocal - Microscopy Imaging Techniques

Anyone know about Amscope microscopes? - All about Microscopy, Confocal Microscopy, Fluorescence microscopy and Other Imaging Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Anyone know about Amscope microscopes?

Well, its unfortunate that you have had a bad experience. Having numerous microscopes from them, one of them had an issue ( which was no big deal ), they put a wrong objective in it... but one call, and a re-shipment of the part went fine. All of mine were shipped from Ca. And the one I use each day is the T600A in a lab environment, and it gets used 8 hrs + a day.
Software? You must have purchased one of the digital ones, I had an eyepiece camera once, but the pixel quality is sub-par, unless you spend >$300 for a higher MP model. ( And I found out that Nero video capture software is easier to use ). I don't know software it comes with.
Either way, I use a standard camera with adaptor for my photos and video, with outstanding quality. ( I enjoy multitasking equipment ).

They have a full refund ( minus S&H and such ) policy, and I have used it once. It took awhile to convince them I was not satisfied and wanted a different model, and I talked to the head-honcho, and he wanted to make sure that is my decision before spending more money.... considerate... but it was my decision to make.

Sooooooo... the 20 some times I have called them and talked to real people, I got what I needed, and was satisfied.

The objectives.... ( guess this is your first scope... ). You can put them in any order you want. It personal preference. Mine are sat up in increasing size order as I rotate to the left. Some of my lab cohorts have the high power ones on opposite ends. Some want yellow before white.

And if you have lost all respect for the place... move on and look into the Omano brand... the company store is here in Virginia, and they have been great as well. ( not to mention there is no heavy accent to sift thru )

Toodles
Old 09-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

I recently purchased a T490-30W-DK with a set of slides, case, etc. The intended use was purely ameteur, personal study and with a the remote possibility to be used at a undergrad/grad level later on. Overall Im impressed with the scope. The optics are quite good as is the construction. The coarse controls are a bit unforgiving in that they are far stiffer than other scopes Ive used in the past but acceptable.

Now the only complaint I have is with a problem I realized with the binocular head a few weeks after use. In very low light conditions a vertical line could be seen. It is not solid and I suspect is a flaw in the prisms within the head. It can not be seen via the camera port. It can only been seen through the binocular part of the head at powers 400X and above under low light conditions. This is visible with or without a slide or a specimen on the slide. Although once you are aware of it even in brighter light you can see a extremely faint shadow. Its very difficult to realize its there when using a specimen but if removed it becomes obvious. After a lengthy discussion on the phone and requests for testing of the device by a representative (justifiably so) an RMA was provided and the head sent back. Over a week passed with no status on the RMA so I contacted them via email and received a response approximately two days later.

They indicated they found no problems and provided pictures showing no line was visible. All of the images are in a very bright light conditions using a vibrantly stained specimen. While I have no proof I highly suspect they took them, if at all, from the camera port which I clearly and repeatedly specified the flaw was not visible from.

After confirming my credit card to pay for the return shipment I recieved the scope head a few days later.

I have decided to just accept this as what to expect from this type of manufacturer. I am not disappointed and would actually recommend the scope for ameteur use. I would not however use this in a professional environment. My experience with this type of manufacturer (whether its calibration devices, GIS equipment or lathe equipment) is if you are lucky enough (most of the time you are) to get a device without flaws it will serve you well and for a decent length of time. If on the other hand you are unlucky enough to get a flawed device not only will it be at least painful in recovery its highly likely there will be no recovery. Overall my experience is that quality control and service is well below that provided by the professionals such as zeiss or nikon. Of course, so is the price as well.

How would I rate the scope? 3 of 5 stars.

If it had been a zeiss and I experienced this Id have given it 0 stars as I have far higher expectations of them in part due to their prices.

Hopefully my experience is atypical.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:40 AM
Pipette Filler

Smile Re: Anyone know about Amscope microscopes?

Oct 2010

Just purchased the Amscope SM-4-TPZ Trinocular zoom and boom. It arrived today and I have used it already for a few hours.

First off, my order was a special order so that I had to call Amscope directly for the order. They were very kind, helpful and patient to explain everything regarding my order. They then confirmed with me exactly what I wanted and took great care to make certain that all was in order for the purchase. They sent a confirmation email and an email with the tracking number. The boxes arrived next day UPS.

Everything arrived today as expected. Well packaged, no damage, all components were NIB factory. It took me about 20 min. to set everything up and start using the equipment.

First light of the scope was awesome. The optics have great clarity. I tried out the 20x oculars along with the "included" .5x and 2.0x barlows. All performed well except that the 20x oculars aren't as crisp as the 10x oculars?? It is not a vignetting issue but more of a light gathering issue. The zoom is smooth, focus and all performed splendidly. Manufacturing appears to be high quality and even little things, like set screws, have nylon tips to keep from damaging metal parts.

The entire scope is metal framed unlike the Leica system which was plastic. All around it gives the look and feel of an expensive Meiji scope.

I have previously owned a Leica GZ6 with flex arm and gooseneck halogen lighting. I used that system for about 8 years and it performed well. I didn't like the lighting because it was a hassle to set up.

The entire Amscope system including LED Ring Light, 20x oculars, BBB boom stand, and FR-GA3 focus ring, was about $900 whereas the old Leica System was $3000! . I was a bit reticent of a $900 microscope at first, but now, I am very happy with it. You definitely get your moneys worth and some!

For those contemplating an Amscope, I am pleased offer a positive recommendation. The Amscope people were patient, helpful and provided a great purchasing experience with no hassles or drama's.

Happy Microscopy
Old 11-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

My dealings with Amscope? I went in to ebay to purchase a scope. I called the toll free number they offered. BTW, it states that the scope is under a 5 yr warranty, brand new (never opened package). They offer many different styles of scopes on ebay under Amscope. I couldn't beat the price but I thought I would call them and see what they had to say. I spoke with the "supervisor". He told me in very poor english (India?) NOT to get one of the scopes on ebay. They were remanufactured and would not be a good buy. I was to go to an area on his website and look at 2 scopes which "would be perfect for you as a student". I checked only to find out that these scopes were very confusing (never seen ones like those in my college classes) and very expensive! Now, I am thinking he just wants my money. I couldn't understand him at all when he spoke and he was knocking his own product on Ebay (why was he selling on there if he didn't trust his product?) So, no to Amscope. After all, if he doesn't trust his product, then maybe I shouldn't. I would also like to deal with a company that I can understand.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:26 AM
Pipette Filler

I bought a used B-490-2 about 6 months ago and have been very happy with it. It is very well built, all controls are firm and work well, the optics and light stage are very good and I am very pleased with my purchase. I use it mainly for freshwater algae identification.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:49 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

Thumbs down Re: Anyone know about Amscope microscopes?

Don't expect any help once you have paid them. I guess the old saying is true. "You get what you pay for".
Old 12-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Pipette Filler

I bought the T490A model recently pretty much on a lark. I'm a Pathology resident and use an Olympus CX-41 every day at work for hours on end. I figured I would take a gamble and maybe get something halfway decent for home use.

I'm not sure if I got a bum unit or if it's just a case of "get what you pay for", but it's not really usable for my purposes for two reasons. First, I can't get the entire image in focus. Either I focus on the middle and the edges subtly go out, or the other way around. Second, the objectives aren't parfocal, at least not on mine. In my work I'm constantly switching between objectives, and I can't be changing focus (by quite a bit) every time I switch.

It's too bad, because otherwise the microscope appears well-constructed and the ergonomics are fine. If anyone thinks I'm missing something, I'd sure appreciate any suggestions. Otherwise, my advice would be to carefully consider your needs and perhaps spend a bit more money on a better microscope.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Pipette Filler

Amcope has mediocre microscopes that are midline quality but the real issue is their incredibly inept customer service. By far the worse company I have ever dealt with. They sent me a broken microscope and then took over two months to rectify the problem. On top of that they fraudulently overcharged me $200 with my credit card information, denied they had done so and when I provided proof they took another 2 weeks to return the money. I agree with Marathongman that the customer service staff is vague, nonresponsive and patronizing. They are a very frustrating company.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Pipette Filler

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]amscope microscope [/COLOR]
worst experience ever from this company amscope, bought in ebay by precision*world.
Microscope received is damage, they do not answer the phone, and email are ignore after you send them the evidence.
the microscope looks cheap but bad qualitiy. in the end cost you expensive time and money.
microscope comes with no bran on it, no serial number. For me it is a illegal product in the U.S. , i product not tested, not registered in the united states, .. a product illegal under the table.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1

JUNK!!! + horrible customer service - Amscope is the WORST company to buy a scope from.

Tags
amscope , microscopes

« Microscope Design | - »