Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Chromatography Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chromatography Forum Discuss Chromatography techniques in this forum. Includes a HPLC forum, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

Protecting from GC/MS

Protecting from GC/MS - Chromatography Forum

Protecting from GC/MS - Discuss Chromatography techniques in this forum. Includes a HPLC forum, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Protecting from GC/MS

My product contains several components, namely solvents, polymers and acids. One of the acids is Phenol. I’ve been trying to somehow mask the activity of Phenol in my product under GC/MS exams.
In GC/MS tests, Phenol peaks at around 11.65. One idea was to add to the composition Methyl Ether of Phenol. Presumably, this will make detecting the procedure in which the Phenol connects harder.
• I realize this will not ‘mask’ the presence of Phenol, but as GC/MS experts, would you say adding Methyl Ether of Phenol pose difficulties on the trace back process?
A second idea was to add Kerosene to the product. Kerosene’s spectrum, if in accurate quantities, appears to mask the single Phenol peak. One of Kerosene’s components also peaks at around 11.6 and I can try to equate the abundance levels.
• Is it at all possible to “trick” the GC/MS expert in such a way where he mistakenly takes the Phenol component to be a part of the Kerosene?
• Do wide overlapping spectrums of different materials pose problems to GC/MS technicians in detecting singular acids (Phenol) that peak among them?
• Can recycled materials (e.g. recycled car oil) that contain “white noise” coming from many different components be traced back perfectly in a GC/MS?
Like I said I am trying to protect my propriety product from being exposed. Whenever it is submitted to a GC/MS exam it must first be placed in Methanol to separate the sediments. The sediments are then examined with TGA.
• What are some methods I can use or materials I can add that will interfere with TGA or leave traces in the liquids after the material is diluted with Methanol?
Any other ideas on how to “trick” GC/MS or how to go about protecting your propriety material from such threats will be greatly appreciated.
With best regards,
Jason Lapidos

Tags
gc or ms , gcms , protecting