Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Epigenetics Forum: DNA Methylation, Histone and Chromatin Study > ChIP Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ChIP Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum. Discuss, chat about, and post questions about the ChIP assay, in the ChIP forum. Includes troubleshooting, protocols, buffer preparation, and more.

ChIP with transfected TF: Pulling out too much?

ChIP with transfected TF: Pulling out too much? - ChIP Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum

ChIP with transfected TF: Pulling out too much? - Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum. Discuss, chat about, and post questions about the ChIP assay, in the ChIP forum. Includes troubleshooting, protocols, buffer preparation, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default ChIP with transfected TF: Pulling out too much?

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum.

I'm aiming to identify binding sites for a transcription factor. As no one has a good antibody against it, and in vivo expression is thought to be probably mainly embryonal, we use exogenous expression by transfecting with a V5-tagged construct instead.

I am trying qPCR with a few primer pairs: One in GAPDH promoter, two in macrosatellites, one of which contains the gene that encodes my TF, and the promoter and 3' UTR of a putative target for my TF.

Now, a control ChIP with H3-Acetylation antibodies pulls out the GAPDH promoter region quite efficiently, I get about 40 fold enrichment over IgG, or 2% of Input - I think the ChIP is probably working ok.

On my V5 antibody IPs, I get next to no signal in non-transfected cells for any of my primers tested (as I would expect). However, in my transfected cells I get a good enrichment for all my 5 primer pairs (about 10 fold compared to IgG, or about 0.5% of Input).

Because the difference between non-transfected and transfected cells is huge, I think it's not non-specific antibody binding, but rather non-specific protein binding. As I'm driving high levels of epxression from pcDNA3.1 with strong CMV promoter, I worry that I simply have so much protein that I just cross-link it to absolutely everything... Making my quest to find some binding targets (which we want to to by cloning of ChIPed DNA and eventually ChIP-Seq) impossible.

Any ideas? Why do you think I get enrichment everywhere? What could I do to solve this?

One of my main problems is that we do not have a definite positive control where we know my protein binds. But I worry that if I clone & sequence ChIPed DNA at this stage, all I'm going to pull out is a random pool of sequence that won't allow me to pick some nice targets.

Also, suggestions for a good negative control region are welcome.

Thanks

Andy

Tags
chip , pulling , transfected