Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Epigenetics Forum: DNA Methylation, Histone and Chromatin Study > ChIP Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ChIP Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum. Discuss, chat about, and post questions about the ChIP assay, in the ChIP forum. Includes troubleshooting, protocols, buffer preparation, and more.

ChIP Assay Sonication Problems

ChIP Assay Sonication Problems - ChIP Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum

ChIP Assay Sonication Problems - Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum. Discuss, chat about, and post questions about the ChIP assay, in the ChIP forum. Includes troubleshooting, protocols, buffer preparation, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2,365, Level: 31 Points: 2,365, Level: 31 Points: 2,365, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Angry ChIP Assay Sonication Problems

Hello all, im getting problems with my ChiP sonication steps. I follow the steps from the Santa Cruz kit. Im using all the reagents according to the manufacturers instructions.

The problem is that when I sonicate my 293T cell nuclear extracts, and then I reverse cross-link, and then phenol extract my DNA, I get only a DNA that smears.
Can someone hand me some suggestions please?
thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 285, Level: 5 Points: 285, Level: 5 Points: 285, Level: 5

Default Re: ChIP Assay Sonication Problems

You should get a smear, as the sonication is random. The smear should ideally be between 150-500 bp though may extend to 1-2kb. The upper limit of the smear is the resolution size of your target sequence.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

Thumbs down Re: ChIP Assay Sonication Problems

Hi:
I have tried to do the ChIP assay in L6 cells. I use lysis buffer that contains 1%SDS, 10mM EDTA, 50 mM tris-HCl pH 8.1. I add freshly protease inhibitors and PMSF. I sonicated 1x15 sec, 3x 10sec and after an hour in 65 degrees with NaCl, SDS and proteinase K I saw 2 bands one around 650kb abd one around 1000kb. I didn't get the regular smear I used to.
Does anyone has any idear why???
Thank you, Shiri
Old 02-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Summer Student
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6

Default Re: ChIP Assay Sonication Problems

The primary purpose of the extractions are to mobilise the DNA and other cellular constituents. The size and quality of your DNA [as verified by gel analysis] depends on both how well you perform the extraction and the extraction technique itself.

Think of extraction tools like sonication as a fork that stirs a hot bowl of noodles. Before the noodle cake is stirred for the first time, all the noodles are roughly the same length but they are interwoven. As you stir, the noodles break apart into smaller pieces but also get softer. This effect is likely to explain why you sometimes encounter smears, other times bands and inevitably nothing at all.

Tags
assay , chip , problems , sonication

« - | Strain specificity »