Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Epigenetics Forum: DNA Methylation, Histone and Chromatin Study > ChIP Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ChIP Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum. Discuss, chat about, and post questions about the ChIP assay, in the ChIP forum. Includes troubleshooting, protocols, buffer preparation, and more.

ChIP Assay DNA Extraction Kit?

ChIP Assay DNA Extraction Kit? - ChIP Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum

ChIP Assay DNA Extraction Kit? - Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Forum. Discuss, chat about, and post questions about the ChIP assay, in the ChIP forum. Includes troubleshooting, protocols, buffer preparation, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 3,020, Level: 35 Points: 3,020, Level: 35 Points: 3,020, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default ChIP Assay DNA Extraction Kit?

Hello, ive been doing ChIP assays lately and have wondered which Qiagen kit is the best for DNA recovery? Why do many papers use Qiagen PCR purification kits?
Also what is the difference between the PG buffer used in gel extractions, and the Qiagen PBI buffer in PCR purifications?
I would love to know the PBI buffer recipe because I use it a lot and the volume provided by the kit is not enough.
thanks!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1

Default Re: ChIP Assay DNA Extraction Kit?

I've never had any success using the Qiagen kits, though I am told they are the best for this sort of thing - which is probably why lots of papers cite them.

I use phenol-chloroform extraction and ethanol precipitation instead.

I don't know exactly what the difference between the PG and PBI buffers is, but I'm certain there is one. Stick to using the PBI buffer if you're not doing gel extraction. We would all love to know the PBI recipe - anyone got a mass spectrometer (cough)?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1

Hello,

I think Qiagen kits are often cited not only because they're good but also because Qiagen "owns" this market. However there are new, better performing resins like the one developped by Norgen Biotek that may help.

Also, you can avoid purifying your chiped DNA if you use magnetic beads (e.g. Ademtech) for the IP part, it is a lot cleaner.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1 Points: 80, Level: 1

Hello,

I think Qiagen kits are often cited not only because they're good but also because Qiagen "owns" this market. However there are new, better performing resins like the one developped by Norgen Biotek that may help.

Also, you can avoid purifying your chiped DNA if you use magnetic beads (e.g. Ademtech) for the IP part, it is a lot cleaner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joegreen For This Useful Post:
admin (05-08-2009)

Tags
assay , chip , dna , extraction , kit