Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum

Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/)
-   Cell Biology and Cell Culture (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/cell-biology-cell-culture/)
-   -   cell culture contamination (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/cell-biology-cell-culture/9730-cell-culture-contamination.html)

molecular 10-14-2008 02:41 PM

cell culture contamination

I've noticed that the media in my flasks changes color after few days of incubation. Is it sign of contamination and of what kind? Tnx

aftabac 10-16-2008 03:18 AM

Re: cell culture contamination

Hi

when cells grow they produce metabolites and the media PH changes. if the cells are growing fast then pH of media change in 2-3 days and it turns yellow and it indicate that you must passage the cells or change media now.

if there is some contamination then media usually get turbid and you can also visulize contamination by microscope.

gud luck for your work

best regards
aftab

guynextdoor84 06-23-2009 03:28 PM

hi, i have fungal like contamination, can anyone help me to identify what are them? and i saw some spider web like, some spore like, are they all different or one species of mold that are at different stage?
here are the pictures:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

guynextdoor84 06-23-2009 03:29 PM

I would like to know to eradicate them and prevent them from contaminating my other reagents or cell lines. Any comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Pls email your feedback to [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...] with subject fungal contamination reply, thanks.

VirologyGirl 06-15-2011 11:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did you ever identify that contamination? I have something floating in my medium that looks very similar and I don't know what it is. I've shown a bunch of a people in my department and nobody knows what it is. Here are some images.

arpit0908 06-16-2011 12:48 PM

I have noticed black dots in my cell culture. They fidget, but do not move from one place to another. When I left cultures overnight, the medium (DMEM) was not clouded (as it usually is upon bacterial contamination) and the contamination had not increase.
beautyatskindeep.com

VirologyGirl 06-17-2011 05:56 PM

Do your cells look healthy? If not that could be cell debris, from splitting them roughly or from becoming too confluent. If they are healthy looking it could be a severe mycoplasma infection. There are several kits available to test for mycoplasma, or you can just do a DAPI stain of your cells and if there is any DAPI staining the the cytoplasm that looks like dots that means you have a contamination.

h9494036 08-26-2011 11:30 PM

Not necessarily. If it turns to yellowish, it is normal becuase the cells are growing.

h9494036 08-26-2011 11:32 PM

If you noticed that there are many small dots moving or vibrating in the medium and they are much smaller than the cells, be careful, they may be bacteria.

sue_q 08-23-2012 11:43 PM

check this article, it may be relevant to your problem:
"Got black swimming dots in your cell culture? Identification of Achromobacter as a novel cell culture contaminant" Biologicals. 2010 March; 38(2): 273–277.