Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Cell Biology and Cell Culture
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cell Biology and Cell Culture Cell Biology Forum. Cell Culture Forum. Post and ask questions about cell culturing, cell lysis, cell transfection, cell growth, and cell biology.

Question regarding teichoic acids

Question regarding teichoic acids - Cell Biology and Cell Culture

Question regarding teichoic acids - Cell Biology Forum. Cell Culture Forum. Post and ask questions about cell culturing, cell lysis, cell transfection, cell growth, and cell biology.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Question regarding teichoic acids

Hello all,
I'm in a 300 level microbiology course at my university.
My professor talks very quickly and I had some trouble understanding some of what he was talking about regarding the teichoic acids.

He started talking about the structure, and was unclear. He just had on the Powerpoint, something about glycerol attached by phosphates, and they (I'm not even sure what "they" refers to) are called anionic polyalcohols and phosphodiester compounds. He also said something about glycerol and ribitol.

I have in my notes something about the hydroxyl groups causing it to be alcoholic, and how there are many hydroxyl groups stemming from the carbon chains. I also have something written down about the acids being a polysaccharide of glycerol phosphate or ribitol phosphate linked via phosphodiester bonds.

I'm only a freshman, most in there are sophomores, and I'm really struggling with this. He is REALLY detailed in his exams, and I have one on Thursday. Can anyone help me make sense of all this information?

Tags
acids , question , teichoic , teichoic acids