Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Cell Biology and Cell Culture
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cell Biology and Cell Culture Cell Biology Forum. Cell Culture Forum. Post and ask questions about cell culturing, cell lysis, cell transfection, cell growth, and cell biology.

Cell culture contamination

Cell culture contamination - Cell Biology and Cell Culture

Cell culture contamination - Cell Biology Forum. Cell Culture Forum. Post and ask questions about cell culturing, cell lysis, cell transfection, cell growth, and cell biology.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question Cell culture contamination

Hi,

I've experienced some problems culturing human cancer cell lines cultures and I can't really be sure if it is some kind of contamination. My main concern is that I observe black "dots/spots" in the cultures, mostly adhered to the flasks. Initially I thought that it could be some cellular debris from non-resistant cells (I use G418 to select clones) or FBS precipitates. As this pattern persists throughout subcultering, I'm considering that it could be a contamination. These cells grow in the presence of 2 antibiotics (Pen/Strep), and wondering if they are camouflaging a contamination I cultured cells in the absence of antibiotics. The pattern of the "black dots" are pretty much the same in cells cultured with or without antibiotics; some with rounded form, others looking like small wires, but mostly with an irregular pattern. Also, the media does not change color along the time. In all the cases, they do not move from one place to another, actually. I am attaching some images…Do you think it’s a sign of some kind of contamination?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (82.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (80.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (81.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (83.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (82.9 KB, 3 views)

Tags
cell , cell culture , contamination , contaminations , culture