Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Cell Biology and Cell Culture
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cell Biology and Cell Culture Cell Biology Forum. Cell Culture Forum. Post and ask questions about cell culturing, cell lysis, cell transfection, cell growth, and cell biology.

HepG2 Cell Culture Problem

HepG2 Cell Culture Problem - Cell Biology and Cell Culture

HepG2 Cell Culture Problem - Cell Biology Forum. Cell Culture Forum. Post and ask questions about cell culturing, cell lysis, cell transfection, cell growth, and cell biology.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default HepG2 Cell Culture Problem

I have been culturing HepG2 cells for years. About a 5-6 weeks ago the cell growth rate slowed and the cells showed large amounts of vacuoles within the cytoplasm. Nothing has changed with my set-up, from media to the incubator. I just split a flask that has been growing since 7/11 and there was only about 1/4 of the plate with cells. The CO2 reads 4.9% on the incubator readout. Perhaps I should check this as I have a digital CO2 analyzer. Again, I note that the vacuoles are extremely prominent. Any ideas from anyone?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: HepG2 Cell Culture Problem

I don't know the specifics of your protocol but....

....it is a well known fact that culturing cells in hyperoxic conditions (even with 5% CO2) is known to cause a suppression of gene expression & can lead to cell mutation.

So a cell line expanded through several passages in these conditions may cause such issues.

Our Company have patented a product called Petaka which is a plastic disposable cell culture device which auto regulates the oxygen exposed to cells so as to offer physiologically relevant oxygen tension. It is a very unique & innovative technology. We ourselves have had some great HEPG2 cultures over the last few years. would encourage you to check it out.

Tags
cell , culture , hepg2 , problem