Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum

Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/)
-   Cell Biology and Cell Culture (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/cell-biology-cell-culture/)
-   -   Cell Culture Fungal Contamination (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/cell-biology-cell-culture/1888-cell-culture-fungal-contamination.html)

proatpcr 08-27-2007 01:22 PM

Cell Culture Fungal Contamination

Hiya,
we are trying to establish a new cell culture hood in our lab, however fungal growth in our flasks has been a huge problem.

Due to high humidity fungus grew on the walls of our cell culture room. We sprayed formalin several times on the wall and even re-painted it however we are getting fungal infections!

any good ideas here? thanks

hatemkhj 09-30-2007 07:19 AM

Re: Cell Culture Fungal Contamination

Hi
Dear fellow
Try to get red of humidity first bcz this is ur proplem since what ever u do fungus will come back , check the walls for any leakage in th pipes ,then dry the walls using direct heat, then repaint using special antifungus paints,...
for quick treatment of fungus use chlorine instead of formaline.

aftabac 09-30-2007 08:41 AM

Hi
well good suggestion, we also have the same fungal problem in our cell lab and it was due to seepage and humidity. so if you have any of the drainage pipe in lab, remove that so that you could prevent leakage. remove the paint from the wall, dry the walls by direct heat and then spray formaline on the wall and again dry it and then paint it with some good antifungal paint. Hope then you will not get the problem.
best of luck for your lab
regards
aftab

guynextdoor84 06-23-2009 02:51 PM

Hi, can anyone help me to identify what fungal or alien is this in my cell culture? it seems like mold, but i'm not sure. Suggestions or comments will be most welcome on how to eradicate them.

I'll show the pictures later i posted 5 post.

guynextdoor84 06-23-2009 04:39 PM

hi, i have fungal like contamination, can anyone help me to identify what are them? and i saw some spider web like, some spore like, are they all different or one species of mold that are at different stage?
here are the pictures:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Please help me. Any suggestion to help eradicate these bugs and prevent from spreading to other reagents and cell lines are more than welcome. Please reply here :)

Anastasia_S 06-24-2009 11:49 AM

as far as our cultures go, we try doing everything aceptically in the C2 cabinet, try not to share it
and when I got fungal growth I've been told to throw the flask away and bring up another lot (we use immortal cell lines and keep old passage cells as a back up), because even after antifungal treatment my result could not be "trusted" - who knows ho the fungus and fungicide affected the cells
we also keep some frozen on liquid nitrogen

wr_1a 02-22-2012 08:12 PM

thanks

jcoalsonshore 11-08-2012 02:46 PM

I believe that you can retrofit UV lamps into a hood

haisond 03-14-2013 10:27 PM

add thymol at 50 ug/ml in the water pan in your incubator will also keep fungus from growing inside your incubator.