Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Bioinformatics > BioStatistics Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BioStatistics Forum Post Questions and Discuss Biostatistics Programs and Stastistical Analysis Questions


Evaluate the impact of a treatment

Evaluate the impact of a treatment - BioStatistics Forum

Evaluate the impact of a treatment - Post Questions and Discuss Biostatistics Programs and Stastistical Analysis Questions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Evaluate the impact of a treatment



Hi,

First time poster...

Hoping someone can provide some insights into the following problem.

I am analyzing a large data set of subjects. A small fraction of this population exhibits a desirable behavior (say DB). And it can be measured on a continuous numerical scale, say 0 to 10.

Close to 99% this population exhibits no DB, so their DB values are zero. The rest, about 1% do have positive DB values. However, in any new data set of this population, it is not known which of the about 1% will exhibit positive DBs.

I randomly divided one such data set into two calling them baseline, and treatment. I treated the treatment dataset with a treatment and then measured DB for both treatment and baseline groups.

How can I evaluate if the treatment had any impact on -

1. the proportion of subjects exhibiting DB.
2. The level of DB exhibited by those who did respond positively.

I have tried the t-test and chi-squared tests for this (on the whole data set and not on just the ones that respond positively). However, since almost 99% of the values are zero, I am not too confident of the results.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chi-squared , evaluate , impact , t-test , treatment


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Human Cytome Project - Update 24 Jan. 2005 Peter Van Osta Cell Biology and Cell Culture 1 08-01-2010 02:18 PM
Human Cytome Project - an idea - Update 19 April 2005 Peter Van Osta Cell Biology and Cell Culture 1 06-01-2009 02:17 PM
A Human Cytome Project - an idea - Update 14 March 2005 Peter Van Osta Cell Biology and Cell Culture 0 03-14-2005 02:27 PM
Advances In Diabetes Treatment 2005 Ben Radford Protocols and Methods Forum 0 01-26-2005 04:30 PM
Human Cytome Project - Update 6 Jan. 2005 Peter Van Osta Cell Biology and Cell Culture 0 01-06-2005 11:18 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Molecular Station | All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.16878 seconds with 16 queries