Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques > BioPhysics Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BioPhysics Forum Ask Questions and Discuss BioPhysics. Talk about BioPhysics Protocols and Techniques. BioPhysics Forum

calculating single molecules collision time

calculating single molecules collision time - BioPhysics Forum

calculating single molecules collision time - Ask Questions and Discuss BioPhysics. Talk about BioPhysics Protocols and Techniques. BioPhysics Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question calculating single molecules collision time

Hi

I have a question regarding the diffusion rates and the time it takes 2 single molecules to react with eachother.

If you don't know the answer yourself but you might have a good idea on where to find the correct information, that would be greatly appreciated as well.

So the problem is this: I have 2 molecules (of different sizes), contained in a small cube (lets say 1Ám3). I want to know how long it would take on average for them to react with each other (by random diffusion).

Probably this problem needs to be simplified to "how long it would take for them to collide with eachother" (I don't know how likely a reaction between two colliding molecules is, probably depends on a whole bunch of parameters).

The Einstein diffusion laws don't seem to be sufficient for me in their standard form.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me

Tags
calculating , collision , molecules , single , time