Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

Protein electrophoresis - problem

Protein electrophoresis - problem - Biology Forum

Protein electrophoresis - problem - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 491, Level: 9 Points: 491, Level: 9 Points: 491, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Protein electrophoresis - problem

Hello
I have a quite simple problem
Recently I've run the gel: it was prepared as 12% denaturing SDS PAGE gel. But it didn't look like 12% (it looked as it was more concentrated). Also during transfer to membrane (Western blot) bigger proteins weren't transfered completely. And eventually I had lateral band spreading during electrophoresis (visible on my page ruler) and also on my membrane after signal detection.
I've repeated this experiment - the same samples but on a new gel and then everything went fine.
So question is - what was wrong with the first gel? It polymerized normally. I'm thinking - maybe I added wrong Tris (usually lateral bands spreading results from incorrect salt concentration)?
Will be much grateful if you could help me to explain this
Anna