Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

Western Transfer

Western Transfer - Biology Forum

Western Transfer - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Western Transfer

Hey guys,

I am running a western and I am a little confused during the transfer step.

When I have my gel (still between plates) in the transfer solution and as I am about to pry it open, should the gel be on the long plate (that way I can just easily slide it to filter paper) or short plate (will I need to flip the gel then). My PI said to have it on long plate that way I wouldn't get confused. But when I was prying it open it accidentally stuck to short plate and while I was trying to flip it over, the gel cracked into two pieces (luckily I was able to put the pieces back together). Sometimes I get the gel on long plate and sometimes it goes on short. How can I always ensure that this won't happen again. The orientation is really confusing me :/

Thanks,
Molecule2012
Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Volunteer
Points: 200, Level: 3 Points: 200, Level: 3 Points: 200, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Western Transfer

Try doing it very slowly on the long plate yet if you see it doing otherwise just go with it. It won't change anything.

Tags
transfer , western