Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

methacrylate blocks

methacrylate blocks - Biology Forum

methacrylate blocks - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default methacrylate blocks

Hi,
I have been producing plastic blocks for histology for many years with no problems at all. Suddenly my sections are not staining and I wondered if anyone had experienced any similar problems. The blocks polymerise and section perfectly, but when I stain them with Lees methylene blue basic fuchsin, all the plastic stains dark purple and the specimen doesn't stain at all. It is not the stain, as I have used stored unstained sections and these stain correctly. I have replaced every chemical in the process, including all the ethanol dilutions but no improvement. I have also used different samples and even slides. I was using 2 hydroxy ethyl methacrylate from Merck and have just bought some from Sigma to try instead. Very near to tearing my hair out! Any suggestions gratefully received.
Christine

Tags
blocks , methacrylate