Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

Antigen isolation

Antigen isolation - Biology Forum

Antigen isolation - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Antigen isolation

I'm trying to strip the proteins from the surface of [I]Lactococcus lactis[I] to restimulate T cells after I've isolated them from a mouse previously injected with L. lactis. I've done the extraction with LiCl before, but we're trying a new approach with lysozyme right now and I'm not sure if all the steps are necessary. I incubated the bacterial cells with lysozyme in a 50mM Tris-HCl + 0.1M NaCl buffer at pH 7.8, centrifuged it to remove the cells, and then transferred the supernatant into dialysis bags. Currently, I am in the process of concentrating them by coating the bags with Sephadex, and once down to a small enough volume, I am supposed to dialyze this in the same buffer as used in the extraction, but I think that it would just take up a lot more water into the bags that would need to be removed again to reconcentrate the proteins. How necessary is it to do this dialysis? I recognize that the Tris-HCl and NaCl concentrations will increase with this method of concentration, but I am using such a small volume in the cultures that I'm not sure if the dialysis to reduce the Tris-HCl and NaCl concentrations is necessary. Any comments would be appreciated.
Also, if anyone has any better ideas on how to concentrate the proteins faster, that would be much appreciated. We are a fairly new research lab and not terribly well-funded, so we don't have very much higher end equipment, like an ultracentrifuge, but there has to be an easier way than coating 9 dialysis bags with Sephadex 4 times a day for 4 days to remove ~10mL of water.

Thanks so much,
Katie
Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1

Default Re: Antigen isolation

Alright, I'm going to simplify my question. Has anybody used a drying agent other than Sephadex (G-10) to remove water from a solution by osmosis through a dialysis bag? The Sephadex is working to remove about 0.5-1mL per treatment and I need to remove about 10-15mL total, so this takes a while. If anyone knows of a drying agent that can remove the water in greater volumes, or doesn't need to be changed as often, I would love to hear.

Thanks,
Katie
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1

Default Radiant Barrier Manufacturer

Good ventilation system can be a secret of success to any industry as it plays an important role in enhancing worker's efficiency & productivity. But providing good ventilation system in industrial sector becomes costly affair as it involves huge investment, energy consumption & recurring expenditure on maintenance.
Quality is a key matter on which we do not compromise. Our dedicated and result oriented team of professionals are under strict guidelines to ensure zero deficiency. Cross Vent Concept (CVC) has strong commitment to offer international quality at Indian price & service using only the world's most advanced technologies. Our skilled labour & service oriented staff are involved in maintaining high quality standards throughout the company from research and development and manufacturing departments to administrative and commercial sections.

OUR PRODUCTS :
Turbine Ventilator Manufacturer
Wind Turbine Ventilator Manufacturer
Turbo Ventilator Manufacturer
Air Ventilator Manufacturer
Radiant Barrier Manufacturer

For More Details Visit Our Site : crossventconcept.in
Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Ph.D Doctorate
Points: 4,203, Level: 43 Points: 4,203, Level: 43 Points: 4,203, Level: 43
Activity: 66% Activity: 66% Activity: 66%

Location: Tabaka Mission Hospital - Kiisi -Kenya & Italy Sicily
Default Re: Antigen isolation

Try with Protein-Concentrate Kit (Med/Micro) Millipore at low cost [Only registered users see links. ] (or 2100)
Old 08-22-2012, 05:16 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1

Default Turbine Ventilator Manufacturer

[Only registered users see links. ]

Tags
antigen , isolation