Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

difficult biology problem, appriciate ANY help!

difficult biology problem, appriciate ANY help! - Biology Forum

difficult biology problem, appriciate ANY help! - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default difficult biology problem, appriciate ANY help!

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶This is a very difficult question I’ve come across in my studies I would sincerely appreciate anyone’s assistance. This is coming from an 11th – 12th grade exam not in any particular textbook.
(THE QUESTION/PROBLEM*** Human beings are very complex and so is human genetics. There are some traits in humans determined by a single gene such as tongue rolling. Some people are able to roll their tongue up at the edges; others are not. Is this a dominant or recessive trait? Study this pedigree which shows the appearance of this trait in three generations of a family. [I will try to post it some other way since the site will not let me ] From this chart would you conclude the trait to be dominant or recessive? Why? From the pedigree would you conclude the male in the first generation to be heterozygous or homozygous? Why?
(MY CONCLUSION *** I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible for the of offspring of the first generation to have a ratio of 3 : 4 tongue rollers if the dominant trait always shows over the phenotype of a recessive trait. Also my problem solving processes of making many punnett squares leads me to believe if the male has a dominant tongue rolling trait then the offspring have either a 100% or 50% chance of being able to roll their tongue. If the gene is recessive then the female must also have the trait BUT the pedigree provided shows parental female as an empty circle which means she does not have the trait…. )
Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1

Default Re: difficult biology problem, appriciate ANY help!

nevermind everyone.... the site won't let me post the pedigree because i am a new user and i cannot attach it because i wrote it in microsoft word which is .docx and is 20KB ...

if you can help and would like to see the pedigree my email is [Only registered users see links. ].
Old 05-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1

Default Re: difficult biology problem, appriciate ANY help!

its a very nice information.

Tags
appriciate , biology , difficult , problem