Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

pH indicator in agar plates

pH indicator in agar plates - Biology Forum

pH indicator in agar plates - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 71, Level: 1 Points: 71, Level: 1 Points: 71, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Red face pH indicator in agar plates

Hi there, I'm about to conduct an experiment where I look at the effect of sugar on the shelf life of yoghurt. I plan to measure this by quantifying the number of lactic acid bacteria in each sample by using bromocresol purple pH indicator.

However, before I do the experiment, I was wondering what kinds of problems I can expect using bromocresol purple indicator in the MRS agar in terms of errors and practicality so I can minimise these problems.

I plan to use 0.025ml per litre.

Also, I've never used this indicator before so what can I expect in terms of the colour the agar will be when I add it to the plates? Will it be initially all purple and after incubation, there will be some yellow colonies signifying lactic acid bacteria?

Really really appreciate the help!

Many thanks!

Aria

Tags
agar , indicator , plates