Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

pET Vector Cloning Issue

pET Vector Cloning Issue - Biology Forum

pET Vector Cloning Issue - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default pET Vector Cloning Issue

Iíve been trying to clone a few geness into pET19b using RE sites NdeI and BamHI. I first digest overnight with NdeI, heat inactivate at 65 degrees for 20min, then digest with BamHI for 4hr and CIP for 1hr before gel purifying on a 0.8% agarose gel. The gel always looks good when compared to digested and undigested control vectors (I see 2 bands at expected sizes for the linearized DNA).

For ligations Iíve been utilizing Quick Ligase with a 3:1 ratio of insert:vector. My controls have been the same as the ligations, minus insert, and only yield 1-2 colonies at the most, while my ligations have many (20-30) colonies per 50uL of C43 DE3 cells plated. However, when I pick colonies for minipreps, most of the colonies run lower than, or even with, the undigested pET vector. Iíve even digested the miniprepped samples (thinking maybe nicked v. supercoiled DNA maybe responsible for the difference) and found no insert.

Has anyone worked with pET vectors and encountered similar issues? Iíd appreciate any advice, thanks!!!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Graduate Student
Points: 1,231, Level: 20 Points: 1,231, Level: 20 Points: 1,231, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: pET Vector Cloning Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_labber View Post
Iíve been trying to clone a few geness into pET19b using RE sites NdeI and BamHI. I first digest overnight with NdeI, heat inactivate at 65 degrees for 20min, then digest with BamHI for 4hr and CIP for 1hr before gel purifying on a 0.8% agarose gel. The gel always looks good when compared to digested and undigested control vectors (I see 2 bands at expected sizes for the linearized DNA).

For ligations Iíve been utilizing Quick Ligase with a 3:1 ratio of insert:vector. My controls have been the same as the ligations, minus insert, and only yield 1-2 colonies at the most, while my ligations have many (20-30) colonies per 50uL of C43 DE3 cells plated. However, when I pick colonies for minipreps, most of the colonies run lower than, or even with, the undigested pET vector. Iíve even digested the miniprepped samples (thinking maybe nicked v. supercoiled DNA maybe responsible for the difference) and found no insert.

Has anyone worked with pET vectors and encountered similar issues? Iíd appreciate any advice, thanks!!!
It's possible the ends of your vector are getting a bit funky with the extensive treatment that you do. You don't need to heat inactivate the NdeI, just go into high salt buffer with BamHI. Also leave out the CIP step it's not necessary. I would try: 3 hours NdeI, then add Buffer 3 (high salt) and BamHI for 3 hours. Gel purify and then use the plasmid.

Usually when I get strange cloning products like the ones you describe it's because the ends of the vector become damaged. It is odd that you don't get higher background though, this suggests something in your insert sample is ligating into the plasmid (contaminating primer-dimers maybe???).

Also are you cloning in a protein expression strain (C43 DE3) ??? This is not recommended because these strains often have high mutation rates. Best to use something tried-and-true like DH5-alpha.

Tags
agarose gels , cloning , issue , pet , pet vectors , vector