Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

Problem with soft agar assay

Problem with soft agar assay - Biology Forum

Problem with soft agar assay - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Problem with soft agar assay

Hi,

I've done soft agar assay for several times in past in various formats. For the first time, I am doing it in 6-well plate format (by titrating everything down based on the surface area differences between different plates).

However, now I came across a bizzare problem. I can see many cells adhered to the plate within a few days of cell plating and growing in monolayer instead of forming typical three-dimensional colonies. I know I had no problem in pouring the agar. These are breast cancer cells. Bottom layer is 2.5 ml of 0.5% Agar Noble (in DMEM) per well and top agar is 1 ml of 0.33% Agar Noble per well (with 25,000 to 100,000 cells in MEGM).

Please help me out here if you guys have any thoughts, tips and tricks.

Tags
agar , assay , problem , soft