Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

Need some ID help please

Need some ID help please - Biology Forum

Need some ID help please - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Need some ID help please

About 7 years ago, my husband and I were walking along a clay deposit near Pensacola Bay and came upon a very strange very bright pink color poking out of the Kaolin clay deposit. I assumed it was a mineral, despite being somewhat soft (but not spongy, as in does not absorb water), and have been asking on a mineralogy forum, but no one there had a clue. One person suggested 'red algae', but this color is far more vivid. This hot pink color does not exist in nature that I can think of.

I ended up sending photos and a sample to the US Geological Survey, who forwarded to several other top geologists who could not ID it. They then forwarded the sample to the University of Gainesville to do a chemical analysis, they submitted it to 4 types of spectrum analysis (2,3,6,7) and said it was carbon-based. They also sent me some microscope photos at 650x. The conclusion is that it's Organic, and not manmade (I even thought rotted toy). I can attach all these images as well.

The Geological Survey recommended that I ask some biologists or organic chemists for more ID help (they'd like to know what it is too).

I have many photos... but before I post them, I'd like to know if this is the right forum to ask and if anyone would be interested in helping me ID this. I call it 'pink stuff', it is a VERY VIVID pink um... thing, that apparently grew in Kaolin clay.

The sample I originally dug up is now dried, 7 years old, and still vivid pink, no color loss. This makes me think the substance has to be new, a new mutation, because had this been available in colonial times, it would have become a huge huge trade item for jewelry just for the color. The color lasts even when dried, and in the days when things with interesting colors commanded absurd prices, this color would have topped them all.

I'm not sure how to post images, can I directly upload or do I link to a photo site? Anyway, I just wanted to establish interest before posting a whole bunch of photos with my first post on this forum. Thank you for your help.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Need some ID help please

Hi!

I think it will be very hard for us to have an idea out of words only.
Most dyes are organic, this is no fantastic news. It may just be an illegal dyes deposit. Think simple before thinking complicated.