I'm an undergraduate studying journalism and integrated marketing communications at Northwestern University. I'm currently researching biological research labs for a marketing project and was wondering if any of you could help me answer a few questions. The questions are:
1. Who makes equipment purchasing decisions in biological research labs?
Does it depend on the size of the lab? What type of an organization the lab is a part of? A researcher's level of academic attainment (Ph.D, post-doc, M.S., B.S., etc.)?
2. Alternatively, do multiple types of people have purchasing power? If so, who?
3. Who influences purchasing decisions?
4. Who makes the final buying decision?
5. How do they buy? (Are there weekly orders? Do they purchase online or from salesman? Etc.)
If you respond could you please specify what type of organization (university, private research institution, industrial research lab, etc.) the lab was a part of and how big the lab was.
I really appreciate your help with this project.