Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

haploid organism undergoin meiosis probabilty, please help

haploid organism undergoin meiosis probabilty, please help - Biology Forum

haploid organism undergoin meiosis probabilty, please help - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 376, Level: 7 Points: 376, Level: 7 Points: 376, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default haploid organism undergoin meiosis probabilty, please help

suppose that meiosis occurs in the transient diploid stage of the cycle of a haploid organism of chromosome number n. what is the probability that an individual resulting from the meiotic division will have a complete set of centromeres (that is, a set all from 1 parent and all from the other parent)?

i am thinking if its a sperm and egg then cytoplasmic segregation would happen and whatever the maternal centromeres are will be inherited so probability of 1. other wise half if its mating types...1/2 that it will be from both and 1/4 that it will be from either, but that seems like a genetic ratio of 1:2:1, which seem right, it is genes afterall, but anyways am i on the right track?

thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 PM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 3,734, Level: 40 Points: 3,734, Level: 40 Points: 3,734, Level: 40
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Default Re: haploid organism undergoin meiosis probabilty, please help

I don't quite understand your question. Meiosis is not a process that occurs in organisms, it only occurs in gametes' (sexual cells) precursors. Gamete's precursors are diploid (2n) cells that undergo meiosis to produce gametes, this is sperm and egg, which are haploid (n). It happens to ensure genetic diversity.

Meiosis involves a recombination step, which combines the information of both parental chromosomes in one. In other words, an sperm/egg carries a mix of genes of both of your parents and not a mix of chromosomes.

I not completely sure but I think centromeres do not participate in the recombination process, still I don't quite get your question so won't dare answer it.

Tags
haploid , meiosis , organism , probabilty , undergoin