Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

Caffeine; hydrogen peroxide & cell metabolism

Caffeine; hydrogen peroxide & cell metabolism - Biology Forum

Caffeine; hydrogen peroxide & cell metabolism - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Caffeine; hydrogen peroxide & cell metabolism

Hello,

I hope that you can help me with a long standing puzzle of mine.

I am intrigued as to whether the weak concentrations hydrogen peroxide found in drinks such as coffee and tea aggregate hydrogen peroxide as a toxic by-product of cell metabolism? I am unclear of the process.

It is suggested that caffeine is bad for us on a number of fronts, and I have seen Life expectancy calculators predict life span as 2 years shorter for heavy coffee drinkers (8 cups+ per day). Might the hydrogen peroxide content have something to do with this? Also might this contribute to hair greying?

I know that hydrogen peroxide is present in coffee and I also know that hydrogen peroxide is a toxic by-product of cell metabolism (or something quite similar). However, I'm uncertain if the foods and drinks we consume also enter this process.

Any other thoughts as to why coffee/ tea might be bad at a molecular level would be greatly appreciated. I already know why it might be good e.g. antioxidants.

Many thanks,
Nicola

Tags
caffeine , cell , hydrogen , metabolism , peroxide