Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum

Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/)
-   Biology Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/biology-forum/)
-   -   cleaning glasswares (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/biology-forum/72970-cleaning-glasswares.html)

niroomandi 05-15-2010 06:48 AM

cleaning glasswares

Hi to all friends
Can you inform me about the cleaning procedure for microbial lab glasswares?

Phototoxin 05-17-2010 11:23 PM

Re: cleaning glasswares

I dont know about 'microbial' labs ... but generally I used to use deionised/MQ water and then acetone to get rid of the water. It depends what materials you're cleaning out of what containers.

kevinchannon 09-11-2010 10:44 AM

Generally you should first disinfect your glassware, using something like virkon (or just 70% Ethanol for some kind of microbiology). This will ensure that you're not going to wash your microbes into the drains and outside world.

Then you need to actually clean the glassware. Use a lab detergent for this, such as Decon 90 (which is what I use). Don't be tempted to use a household detergent, since they put various additives in these to leave your crockery all shiny, but it's not so good to contaminate your samples with these :) Depending on what you're doing, your glassware might need cleaning with something like isopropanol, ethanol or acetone to get rid of organics (but the detergent should do a pretty good job of this anyway).

Following cleaning, you need to get rid of the stuff that you used to clean the glassware, I do this with copious amounts of DI water. You really can't rinse enough at this stage. Then, finally rinse with 18 MΩ water (from a MilliQ machine for example) to get rid of any minerals that were dissolved in the DI water.

After rinsing, put the glassware directly into a drying oven to remove the water. You don't need to worry about drying the glassware with acetone if you use 18 MΩ water for a final rinse, since there should be nothing to leave "water marks" on the glassware in this water.

Finally, you can autoclave the glassware before reuse to kill off any bacteria that have grown on the glassware between cleaning and reuse.

This will leave you with very clean glassware, but you can reduce any of the stages if you don't need it super clean. Cleaner is generally better though, especially for the repeatability of experiments.

sonia_jenifer 09-27-2010 08:39 AM

Thanks for the information ,I too needed to know it

amritpal753159 02-16-2013 09:13 AM

If the lab glassware is cleaned immediately after use then the problems associated with dirt can be controlled to a great extent. If detergent is used for laboratory glassware washing, it should be the one that is specially designed for lab glassware cleaning and much more knowldge about the lab glassware then visit to my site labsglassware

archiehillierS 03-02-2013 09:00 AM

What equipments do you have that you can use? It depends on your resources.