Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

Western Blot Help!

Western Blot Help! - Biology Forum

Western Blot Help! - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Western Blot Help!

Alright, so I'm trying to learn the methodology and theory behind Western Blot, but I have this question that's been nagging me, and I can't seem to find a specific answer to it.

Why is gel electrophoresis necessary in the Western Blot process?

I know how it separates proteins based on their Molecular Weight, but what is the point when you've got an antibody tag that's going to bind to a specific protein. I mean, my reasoning is that if that antibody interacts with the homogenate of a particular cell line, then isn't that a basis for gene expression and the presence of a specific protein. Somebody please help.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Banned
Points: 188, Level: 3 Points: 188, Level: 3 Points: 188, Level: 3

Default Re: Western Blot Help!

If all you wanted to know was if the protein of interest is present, you can do that in much simpler ways than a western. Westerns can show you the size of the protein in addition to displaying different levels of expression with regards to a control.

Does this help?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Post-Doc
Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31 Points: 2,383, Level: 31

The gel electrophoresis step is critical, for many reasons:

1) It concentrates your protein in a small area, which can improve detection of rare proteins compared to other detection techniques such as dot-blots.

2) Its far more quantitative than simpler methods. You can compare protein expression levels with WB; you cannot with dot blots, IF, etc.

3) Despite what is usually taught (and shown on product data sheets), antibodies can, and often do, cross-react with other proteins. This is obvious in a western, as you'll end up with multiple bands, while with other methods you'll simply see a signal and as such you'll have no idea if what you're seeing is your protein-of-interest, or a cross-reaction.

4) Western blotting can detect some forms of post-translational modification. Many PTM's cause changes in a proteins weight; for example, some heavily phosphorylated proteins will form a double band on a gel - a lower-weight unphosphorylated band and a higher-weight phosphorylated one.

There are lots of other reasons why the electrophoresis step can be benificial, that's simply the short list...

Bryan
Old 03-17-2010, 04:56 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 574, Level: 11 Points: 574, Level: 11 Points: 574, Level: 11

i have checked it’s really great [Only registered users see links. ]

Last edited by mdjww; 03-17-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Tags
blot , western