Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

My life is an academic mess.. and i need some suggestions.

My life is an academic mess.. and i need some suggestions. - Biology Forum

My life is an academic mess.. and i need some suggestions. - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default My life is an academic mess.. and i need some suggestions.

Hi all.

Well here's the thing. i'm a med student in my final year, and i've been having some trouble passing. so much trouble in fact, that i am seriously considering changing disciplines. my original plan was to go ahead and get a master's degree in stem cell research after i graduate and complete my internship. what happened is that i've been stuck with two subjects for a whole year now, and i am seriously thinking about bypassing this whole medicine thing and entering my field of interest via a Bachelor's in biology. it all sounded great, and i was planning to achieve that by finding a university that has a Bachelors program taught in English in europe. Besides the UK, all i found was a University college in Norway. I was told that i will only start a year later if i apply now. not keen on wasting another year, i am looking for alternatives.
Before anyone says i should stick to completing my medical degree. let me just say that the particular uni i'm studying isn't worth the hassle, and that i already tried too hard to the point of mentally blocking any notion of graduation.

The question is:
Is there a way to tailor my degree from what i previously studied, and adding to it whatever courses i am missing? I would love to find a University - or even an academy - that has flexible courses, and some advice on which courses to take to start a career.

It's all a dreadful waste of time, and i am really beginning to get down. I am interested in any aspect of Molecular biology or genomics or stem cell research. be it practical -preferred - or academic.

Perhaps someone here can enlighten me?

thanks
Old 10-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1

Default Re: My life is an academic mess.. and i need some suggestions.

This particular university in Norway, can you enroll in some classes now and apply them toward a degree later? If you could get some classes at the school, then perhaps volunteer to work in one of the biology labs to begin to get some experience. If you're truely interested in this university, this would give you the opportunity to become familiar with the country, customs and language, thereby making the final transition into the program easier. You should also check with that university to determine what classes you have taken would be transferrable, or if you can take an equivalency exam.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ampli^nth For This Useful Post:
tempogen (10-14-2009)
Old 10-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

Default Re: My life is an academic mess.. and i need some suggestions.

Thanks Ampli^nth, i emailed + called the uni to clarify certain points, and to ask if i could indeed enroll in a particular course in the meantime.
It's not that i'm dying to get into this university, but currently, it's the most appealing option since they have an english taught bachelors program, and higher education is free in Norway, which works for me, academically speaking.

Tags
academic , life , mess , suggestions