Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

evolution- why believe in it?

evolution- why believe in it? - Biology Forum

evolution- why believe in it? - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default evolution- why believe in it?

i believe in bits of 'evolution'- like god uses the mechanisms of evolution to fulfill his will- so therefore before you all start screaming "no evolution exists!" Technically I DO believe in evolution but I DO NOT believe these processes are RANDOM occurrences not determined by something bigger (ie. God) (what utter BS) But my question is, even if you totally disagree (and that's fine!) why take the realistic path, basing ideas on sumthing you can see (because as I said, evolution DOES exist to some extent) when life can be so much more INTERESTING if you believe in something bigger. ie. even if you think it's rubbish, isn't it fun to NOT explain everything through science?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

"why take the realistic path, basing ideas on sumthing you can see"

because that's the POINT of science

"isn't it fun to NOT explain everything through science?"

Fun, yes. Useful, no.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 PM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 3,877, Level: 41 Points: 3,877, Level: 41 Points: 3,877, Level: 41

Default Re: evolution- why believe in it?

Amen, hahahaha
Old 09-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1

The most insidious and damaging ideology ever foisted upon the mind of modern man is the notion that human beings are but animals, and the offspring of other, more primitive creatures. It is known as the theory of organic evolution. This concept has been reflected in recent years in such volumes as Phil Donahue’s, The Human Animal (1986), and in the earlier production, The Naked Ape (1967), (as man was characterized) by zoologist, Desmond Morris.

Tragically, multiplied thousands across the land have ingested, to a greater or lesser degree (sometimes even with a religious flavor), this nefarious dogma. But why? Have folks intellectually analyzed the matter, and thus, on the basis of solid evidence and argument, accepted this viewpoint. Not at all; rather, for a variety of emotional reasons, this concept is entertained so readily.

In 1974, Marshall and Sandra Hall published a book titled, The Truth: God or Evolution? In the opening section of this excellent volume, the authors listed several reasons why the evolutionary theory is embraced by so many. With credit to them for the germ thoughts, I would like to expand the discussion.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1

Evolution is not rubbish because evolution happens that's why human emerges from the world of monkeys.....evolution is the part of nature and its important.

Regards
Rupam
Old 09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 777, Level: 15 Points: 777, Level: 15 Points: 777, Level: 15

Quote:
i believe in bits of 'evolution'- like god uses the mechanisms of evolution to fulfill his will
OK, so lets start from here and see where we end up. Which "bits" of evolution do you believe in?

Quote:
I DO NOT believe these processes are RANDOM occurrences not determined by something bigger (ie. God)
Can you expand on what you mean by "RANDOM", since there are a lot of misconceptions about randomness in the context of evolution.

Quote:
why take the realistic path, basing ideas on sumthing [sic.] you can see (because as I said, evolution DOES exist to some extent) when life can be so much more INTERESTING if you believe in something bigger. ie. even if you think it's rubbish, isn't it fun to NOT explain everything through science?
Well, I guess that the general aim of "science" is to explain things. It would be a little odd if everyone in the world chose to ignore one particular thing, just to make things more interesting! There are so many things in the world that we don't fully understand yet, that we should really be pleased and amazed at the things that we can explain, not just disregard them

In my opinion, a proper understanding of evolution improves my appreciation of the natural world rather than diminishing it as you suggest.

I look forward to your replies,

Kevin
Old 09-13-2010, 07:43 PM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 3,877, Level: 41 Points: 3,877, Level: 41 Points: 3,877, Level: 41

Angry Re: evolution- why believe in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theashes2009 View Post
i believe in bits of 'evolution'- like god uses the mechanisms of evolution to fulfill his will- so therefore before you all start screaming "no evolution exists!" Technically I DO believe in evolution but I DO NOT believe these processes are RANDOM occurrences not determined by something bigger (ie. God) (what utter BS)
Come on, bacteria developing resistance against an antibiotic is an evolutive process and there's nothing godly about it! Or do you think your God leads bacteria to be unstopable by human means and kill us all? No. Bacteria are doing just what all life form tries to do: to lead its species to survival.

In the other hand, evolution isn't random at all. The mutation part IS random but the enviromental pressure is not. It may be variable but not random. And then again, this isn't determined by God.

Tags
evolution , _