Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biology Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biology Forum Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

FST calculation gives negative result

FST calculation gives negative result - Biology Forum

FST calculation gives negative result - Biology Forums. Ask questions and discuss the study of Biology. If you have Biology questions from your homework ask them here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default FST calculation gives negative result

I'm trying to calculate FST using the Cockerham & Weir formula, which is significantly more complicated than the standard FST formula given by Wright, but much more accuarte and widely used today. But I keep getting negative results. The results should only range between 0 and 1. Here's a typical example:

[attachment was shrunk and is unreadable; can the moderator allow me to post the link to the image?]

In the above example the populations are identical (which simplifies some of the math), but if I change them and make them a little different it still gives me negative results.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fst problem - negative result.jpg (16.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by argiedude; 12-18-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Tags
calculation , fst , negative , result