Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Bioinformatics
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bioinformatics Have questions about bioinformatic tools or databases? Post questions here. Discuss and post interesting bioinformatics information.

Alignment software to compare huge number of peptide sequences or cysteine framework

Alignment software to compare huge number of peptide sequences or cysteine framework - Bioinformatics

Alignment software to compare huge number of peptide sequences or cysteine framework - Have questions about bioinformatic tools or databases? Post questions here. Discuss and post interesting bioinformatics information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 03:03 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 866, Level: 16 Points: 866, Level: 16 Points: 866, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Alignment software to compare huge number of peptide sequences or cysteine framework

Hi everyone !

I have to find sequence similarities and to align about 5,000 peptide sequences (from 10 to 60 amino acid length) coming from 2 different organisms.

These sequences have highly conserved Cysteine residues arranged in different but also conserved cystein frameworks.
(e.g:
xCxxxCCxxxCx = framework 1
xCxCxCx = framework 2
xCCxxxCxxCx = framework 3
etc.
where "C" = Cysteine, and "x" can be any amino acid excepted Cysteine)

So I would like to find a software in order to:
1st - Compare the entire sequences (with all the amino acids)
2nd - If I don't find sequence similarities, then I would like to compare only the cysteine frameworks (i.e position of cysteines to each other + length of inter-cysteine sequences), even if the amino acids between the cysteines are totally different.

I listed all these sequences in an Excel sheet, and I can easily convert them into a Fasta file if needed.
I also modified the sequences to display only the Cysteines as in the following example:
NNKYCCHLWCTKHPRC into ----CC---C-----C

PS:
- What about MacVector?
- Would it be possible to align the sequences directly in Excel if I find a formula or a script ?

Thanks in advance !
Cheers
Old 05-05-2011, 03:21 AM
Volunteer
Points: 2,219, Level: 30 Points: 2,219, Level: 30 Points: 2,219, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Alignment software to compare huge number of peptide sequences or cysteine framew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasVS View Post
Hi everyone !
So I would like to find a software in order to:
1st - Compare the entire sequences (with all the amino acids)
2nd - If I don't find sequence similarities, then I would like to compare only the cysteine frameworks (i.e position of cysteines to each other + length of inter-cysteine sequences), even if the amino acids between the cysteines are totally different.

A) Load all sequences as alignment in UGENE ([Only registered users see links. ])

B) Use MUSCLE or KAlign algorithms - these algorithms are very fast and will align your sequences in a seconds/minutes

C) Check the result. If you want to realign some core part of the alignment - just select it and realign this region only. You can also export the region you need and store it to file as a separate alignment

D) Check "Statistics" context menu item - it can help you to see the data in alternative way

Tags
alignment , compare , cysteine , framework , huge , number , peptide , sequences , software