Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biochemistry Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biochemistry Forum Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

ATP hydrolysis & ΔG

ATP hydrolysis & ΔG - Biochemistry Forum

ATP hydrolysis & ΔG - Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default ATP hydrolysis & ΔG

Experimentally, the standard free energy change associated with the hydrolysis of ATP can be determined by measuring the equilibrium constants for the following two reactions:
i. ATP + glucose --> ADP + glucose 6-phosphate Keq = 890
ii. glucose + inorganic phosphate --> G6P + H2O Keq = 0.0037

1) Based on these data, what is the ΔG for the hydrolysis of ATP?
Draw a reaction coordinate that demonstrates your solution.

Should I just find the ΔG of the 2 rxns and add them? Then I get 705.44 cal/mol.
or
should I invert the second rxn and cancel out the glucose and G6P? Then I get the ΔG = 7336.6 cal/mol.

2) Explain why this indirect method is experimentally more feasible than a direct measurement of the equilibrium constant for the hydrolysis of ATP.

If I calculate ΔG the first way, the ΔG is much less than the ΔG for reaction (i), which is the direct hydrolysis of ATP. So is it because the indirect method would lower the free energy needed to hydrolyze ATP?

PLEASE HELP!!

Tags
Δg , atp , hydrolysis