Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biochemistry Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biochemistry Forum Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

Specific activity during multi-step purification

Specific activity during multi-step purification - Biochemistry Forum

Specific activity during multi-step purification - Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Specific activity during multi-step purification

Hi all,

I'm doing a multi-step purification to purify a protein (or proteins!) responsible for a particular biochemical activity. I do not know the identity of the protein, so I am doing the purification by following the activity only. Here is my purification table.

_____Step_____________________Total protein_____Specific activity ____Yield____Fold_________
__________________________________(mg)____________ (units/mg)__________(%)___purification___

Processed crude fraction___________57.6______________35___________ ____100_______=1_____
Ammonium sulfate___________________36.9______________74____ ___________87________2.13____
Phenyl sepharose___________________6.64_____________1560_ _____________29________44.9____
Hydroxyapatite______________________2.8___________ __1463_____________7.9________42.1____
Heparin sepharose_________________0.46_____________2215___ __________2.5________63.8____
Gel filtration____________________0.082_____________23 56_____________1.9 _______67.8____

As you can see, something funky is happening with the Hydroxyapatite column, because the specific activity does not increase at that step. I am stumped as to what that can mean. Is the hydroxyapatite column fractionating out a cofactor or another protein that is necessary for activity? This is my first time doing a purification like this. Is a yield of 1.9% considered colossally shitty? It seems I am losing the most yield at the Phenyl sepharose step -- does that mean I should eliminate that column from my purification?Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Tags
activity , multistep , purification , specific