Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biochemistry Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biochemistry Forum Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

Layperson needs HEALTH HELP –explain chemical compounds in RX meds

Layperson needs HEALTH HELP –explain chemical compounds in RX meds - Biochemistry Forum

Layperson needs HEALTH HELP –explain chemical compounds in RX meds - Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question Layperson needs HEALTH HELP –explain chemical compounds in RX meds

I am a layperson, but since this is related to chemical reactions causing severe health issues, I hope you will be forgiving and help me with this.

I have been (after several years) diagnosed as having chemical sensitivities. I react specifically to Volatile Organic Compounds. We know this, as this was the common factor to the items I had my original problems with ie: treated wood, perfumes, scented candles, new upholstery & clothing recently dry cleaned.
I also underwent double blind testing to verify that it was not a psychological issue. I reacted immediately to Benzene and Toluene.

These reactions are NOT mild. They cause my blood pressure to soar, my breathing to become near impossible (in the worst cases); I also have loss of muscle control on the right side of my body so that I look, speak and act as if I have had a stroke. These reactions are temporary and are stopped with dosages of Prednisone (a steroid/anti-inflammatory). Afterwards I return to “normal”, but with a high chance of stroke/heart attack while having the reactions and the long term effects are yet unknown.

I HOPE you’re still reading.

Where I need the help of chemists is to figure out what commonality I should be looking at in prescription medication. I have been trying to find the common factors between what meds I DON’T react to and which ones I DO react to and it is simply beyond me. It seems to me that the main composition ones that are my main issue are CHNO, but there is at least 1 CHNO that I have taken with no issue.

I only have basic biology studies. No chemistry, etc.
I use this website to get the chemical formulas of medications, etc.
chemindustry dot com backslash apps backslash chemicals

Please explain this to me, if you can, in simple, yet intelligent forms. I am preparing to undergo infertility treatments and have to be able to explain my weirdo medical issues to a dr with some intelligence. We need this information so that we may collaborate on what medications I can use for my infertility treatments and which ones would harm me. My drs. could barely get me diagnosed, let alone explain to me the manner in which these compounds affect me.
It is highly probable (in my mind) that these compounds could bond to something else already in my system, be it a foreign chemical or a naturally occurring chemical. It is also probable (according to my dr) that while I reacted so violently to Neurontin that I may have had other irritants in my body which excited the reaction to the Neurontin.

All help is deeply appreciated.
Canary in a modern day coal mine

Medications I know I CAN take:
Wellbutrin C13H19Cl2NO
Mobic C14H13N3O4S2
Symbicort C44H58N2O10 - this one I don't understand why I can-it is an inhaler

Compounds I know I CAN’T take/tolerate:
Neurontin C9H17NO2 -this one almost killed me.
Lyrica C8H17NO2
Cymbalta C18H19NOS
Albuterol C13H21NO3
Benzen C6H6
toluene C7H8
Hexane C6H14
Formaldehyde CH4

Thanks Again! I am forever indebted to anyone willing to help me.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Layperson needs HEALTH HELP –explain chemical compounds in RX meds

Just bumping this up to see if anyone can help.

Tags
chemical , compounds , health , layperson , meds , –explain