Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biochemistry Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biochemistry Forum Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

Phytochemical purification: removal of residual glucose

Phytochemical purification: removal of residual glucose - Biochemistry Forum

Phytochemical purification: removal of residual glucose - Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 1,985, Level: 27 Points: 1,985, Level: 27 Points: 1,985, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Phytochemical purification: removal of residual glucose

Hi all,

lets say i have a plant pulp juice, and i want to administer these extracts onto a cell line, or rat tissue or whatnot.

to extract general phytochemicals prior to rotary evaporation, i employed solvent extraction using n-butanol. theoretically speaking, the glucose should dissolve in the water fraction, and the phytochemicals which are generally less polar dissolve in the n-BuOH fraction. i performed a solubility test using an anhydrous glucose standard, and it is observably insoluble. subsequently, i employed the solvent extraction and performed a molisch test (test for carbs) on each fraction after 3-5 mins of swirling. the purple portion of sugars present significanly decreased, but of course i dont exactly know if this would hold true for a pulp juice, with a lot of other components in the system.

is a simple n-butanol extraction effective for removing much if not all of the residual sugar?

can anybody suggest a relatively cheap way of removing the sugars without damaging the phytochemicals?

many many thanks.

Tags
glucose , phytochemical , purification , removal , residual