Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biochemistry Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biochemistry Forum Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

Biological paper

Biological paper - Biochemistry Forum

Biological paper - Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 183, Level: 3 Points: 183, Level: 3 Points: 183, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Biological paper

I received a question list to ask the quality of a paper. I do not understand what is the meaning of "Succeeds by a large amount"? It means the paper meet the criterion very well? For example, if I want to say that the information presented in the paper is very new, I should place an x after 3 ?

Thank you very much!

The following is part of the question list:

For each question, please use the following scale to answer (place an x in the space provided):
"To what extent does the article meet this criterion?"

0 Fails by a large amount
1 Fails by a small amount
2 Succeeds by a small amount
3 Succeeds by a large amount
4 Not applicable

The information presented was new.

0 __1 __2 __3 __4
Old 04-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned
Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Biological paper

First you get the instructions to authors for the journal you want. They are usually listed inside the front cover, or online. Next, you establish the authorship, i.e. who will appear on the manuscript, and who will be first and last author. This ends up being a big deal in science. Then you write the paper, getting input from all authors, etc. Then submit it, and it will be peer reviewed by at least 2 or 3 experts in the field. You will then recieve the critiques back from these reviewers. They will either recommend acceptance (very rare), accept with minor or major revisions (most common), or reject (unfortunately, this happens also). Depending on what they have to say, you then address their concerns, re-submit, and wait again to hear back. Hopefully they now accept your manuscript, and it then goes to press. You will receive "galley" proofs later (usually several months later), which you review for errors, then send them back, and finally the paper gets published. Can take up to a year for this process. I've published more than 100 papers in scientific journals, so I think my description is fairly accurate.

Tags
biological , paper