Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biochemistry Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biochemistry Forum Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

Biochemistry Major Career Options?

Biochemistry Major Career Options? - Biochemistry Forum

Biochemistry Major Career Options? - Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Biochemistry Major Career Options?

I am a high school student. I am thinking about getting a B.S. in Biochemistry. If I get this, will a Bachelor's degree be enough education to get a job&career? Or will I need a Masters/PhD
Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Pipette Filler

Default Re: Biochemistry Major Career Options?

I am Biochemistry major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, CA. I'm graduating in June and currently on the job hunt.

There's definitely a difference between a B.S., masters and PhD. If you should go to grad school all depends on what you want to do. If you want to do research definitely go, and if you want to head research you should get a PhD. The general order of operations in the research lab is the PhD's do the experiments, the master's set-up the experiment and the B.S's was glassware and clean up.

If you just want to work in a lab making a reasonable salary then you'll be fine with a B.S. There are jobs out there but you won't get rich, although you most likely won't get rich in field in general, no matter what you're education. If you do just get a B.S. or masters experience can substitute for education but you'll be competing with people who have the education and experience so it can be difficult.

There are the most jobs for people with a master's but PhD's get paid the most.

Probably the MOST IMPORTANT though would be to figure out if you want to go to grad school or not now and if you do start preparing freshman year. Make sure you're getting good grades, especially in your major. Most grad schools require a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale just to apply. Find a professor that is doing research you are interested in and get in their research lab. Most likely they won't let freshman do research but start asking professors you're second year. Finally, make friends with your professors. I know this sounds like sucking up and maybe and little of that won't hurt (a little won't hurt, they're professors they're smart, don't overdo it), but a lot of grad schools, even state schools, want references and letter's of recommendation. If you've been talking to your professors, going to office hours, showing them you know what's going on in lecture and in the lab they'll not only be more likely to write a letter or be a reference but they'll also give you a much better one.

Hopefully that helps and good luck in college.

Tags
biochemistry , career , major , options , _