Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > General Science Forums > Biochemistry Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Biochemistry Forum Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

Why is putting a hand in the vacuum bad for us?

Why is putting a hand in the vacuum bad for us? - Biochemistry Forum

Why is putting a hand in the vacuum bad for us? - Discuss and post questions regarding the study of Biochemistry. If you need homework help this is the place to ask!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Why is putting a hand in the vacuum bad for us?

Ok...lets say it is not completely vacuum to get at the problem I am having trouble understanding. Lets say there is oxygen(coz our skin cells need to breath as well.) but the temperature is freezing cold....basically why is coldness bad for us? I know heat is b/c their particle move so fast that they cause a chain reaction. In my understanding...coldness should be good for us since it helps the body move the heat its producing out....hence, less friction inside.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Why is putting a hand in the vacuum bad for us?

Your cells receive oxygen from the blood, it is a common misconception that humans need oxygen arounds their skin, for example in the James Bond movie Goldfinger, a small square of skin was left unpainted on the golden womans back so she would not suffocate..... People breathe through their lungs we are not frogs which do however breathe through their skin.

In a vacuum i reckon the severly reduced pressure would have some sort of adverse effect on your hand.

Temperature is related to how quickly particles are moving, the hotter temperature, the faster the particles. At absolute zero no particles are moving what so ever, i think in a vacuum the temperature would be absolute zero (0Kelvin , -273 C) i'm not sure about all the variables but this would kill all the cells in your hand.

Tags
bad , hand , putting , vacuum