Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Basic Lab Protocols and Techniques
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DECP-water safety

DECP-water safety - Basic Lab Protocols and Techniques

DECP-water safety -

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 300, Level: 5 Points: 300, Level: 5 Points: 300, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default DECP-water safety

Hello!

Just a couple of quick questions. Firstly: today I was working with some DEPC-treated PBS (treated with 0.1% DEPC and then autoclaved) and spilt some on myself... Was just wondering really whether this was something I should be concerned about? I know DEPC is a suspected carcinogen, and just wondered whether the autoclaving is reliable in degrading the DEPC as it is supposed to, so that it could be considered no longer harmful to humans?

My second question was a bit more general and something I'd be wondering for a while...I doubt there is a 'correct' answer so was just looking for any thoughts. So we work every day with things that are carcinogens/suspected carcinogens/potential carcinogens and I was just wondering what this really meant?? I mean, the suns rays are carcinogenic but we don't lose overly much sleep over a small sun burn. Yet I know people who had spilt ethidium bromide on their skin and certainly lost some sleep... When things in the lab are labelled as carcinogenic does this really mean to be careful about exposing oneself too much or is one spill really a cause of concern? If one spill really is a problem should we not all be wearing body suits???

Thanks for your thoughts!

Susan
Old 08-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 294, Level: 5 Points: 294, Level: 5 Points: 294, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: DECP-water safety

Dear Collegue,
Lab. works always need a moment of precaution before taking any action/decision!
When you're urged to keep tight with all safety measures, it doesn't mean that you should afraid of every stuff you'd check around in your work station! Just keep in the mind that you may be some how vulnurable to such materials. However, if you're working in a standard Lab. you don't have to pay such a psy-cost! As long as you carefully obey the safety rules nothing can harm you.
Yours,
Jamaledin Adel

Tags
decpwater , safety