Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum

Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/)
-   Article Discussion (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/article-discussion/)
-   -   genetic engineering (http://www.molecularstation.com/forum/article-discussion/1528-genetic-engineering.html)

akintimehin 05-10-2007 02:47 PM

genetic engineering

considering the positive and the negative effects of genetic engineering do you think that GE should be encouraged in the increasingly UV and CO2 polluted environment? pls send in your reply and then a general deduction would be made. thank you
akintimehin kolawole

salemselam 05-20-2007 05:07 AM

Re: genetic engineering

nice question! i think genetic engineering should be encouraged coz the pollution u mentioned either UV or CO2 is not the result of the genetic engineering.besides GE can be used to engineer plants with increased CO2 uptake and increased O2 release which has a twin bullet both decreasing the CO2 pollution and increasing the atmospheric O2 . remember the UV pollution is mainly due to the negative effect on the ozone layer which otherwise has been absorbing the UV rays coming from the sun.
Regards, salemselam

aftabac 05-25-2007 12:00 PM

Well
Genetic engineering is very good in a sence that we are producing many important molecules and things, that otherwise difficult and expansive to produce, i.e insulin production.
well the effect of environment pollutant will be the same on the wild type organism and on the GM organism, so it is dangerous for all, but yes there are chances tha the GM organism may be more dangerous.
but mostly it depends on the application. GE has termendious application and can do a very good for humanity but in the meanwhile it could result in the destruction of whole world.

regards
aftab

akintimehin 05-28-2007 01:01 PM

thank you very much aftab for your comments
pls can i get to know more of you and your inclination scientifically.

aftabac 05-29-2007 11:21 AM

well
i am doing my PhD from University of the Punjab, Pakistan. and my area of reseach is cell and molecular biology. and i am more interested to study biotechnology and immunology as my previous work was on immunology.
if you want to discuss something you are most welcome.

best of luck for your reseach work

best regards
aftab ahmad

Lee21 02-26-2009 08:02 PM

To some extent I believe genetic engineering could be a good thing. But there are definitely some extremes that I feel it might reach which could alter life as we know it, in a negative way. To learn more about this topic you should all check out iprophesy.net. It is a webpage for a show on vision tv and there is an interactive game as well. It's awesome.

NATHANALANPATRICKROGERS 02-27-2009 02:46 AM

The most powerful forms of 'virtual' GE are 1. selecting an attractive breeding partner, 2. crossing/selectively breeding plants, 3. habitat conservation and 4. vulgar rituals.

lala0453 10-02-2009 05:41 AM

Excellent list! I've learned more from this forum in about 2 days than I have at any other forum community.

nanofreak 10-02-2009 07:49 AM

I think GE should be encouraged, but as in case of other fields, it helps to have a regulation authority that can screen the various projects going on in GE; to prevent harmful and undesirable developments.

I mean we wouldn't want to bring back the dinosaurs or something terrible.....

miozio 10-02-2009 07:35 PM

GE is one of the most important fields in the science. The future will be impossible without it. What does UV and CO2 pollution have to do with it? Are you talking about mutations?