Curator, Biological Research Database, Carnegie Institution, Stanford, CA
TAIR, The Arabidopsis Information Resource ([Only registered users see links. ]) is a
National Science Foundation-funded web resource for thousands of plant
biology researchers worldwide, providing free access to a wide array of
biological data and analysis tools for the model plant Arabidopsis,
including the first and most complete multicellular eukaryotic genome
sequence. The Carnegie Institution Department of Plant Biology is
co-located with the Department of Global Ecology on a seven-acre site on
the campus of Stanford University.
We are currently seeking applicants for the position of database
curator. The successful candidate will work with a team of curators,
software engineers, and database developers to provide data to over
16,000 users of the TAIR website and database.
• Read current research articles and extract gene function and plant
metabolic pathway data for loading into TAIR and related databases
• Contribute to the development of standard curation procedures
• Participate in data management processes such as bulk data processing,
data exchange with other databases, and new version releases
• Provide support to the research community including answering
questions, providing training on how to use the database and related
tools, and helping them with large data submissions
• Participate in design of new or improved web interfaces and tools
• A Ph.D in Biology or related discipline with research experience in
• Demonstrated ability for independent, critical thinking
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work well as part of a team
• Good basic computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, web browsers)
• Experience with Internet-based literature searching, Unix, HTML, Perl
and mySQL would be useful but is not required.
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, CV and names of 3
references to Dr. Sue Rhee at [Only registered users see links. ].
The Carnegie Institution of Washington is an equal opportunity employer.