Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Protein Science > Antibody Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Antibody Forum Antibody Forum. Ask and discuss antibody suppliers, antibody related techniques and protocols, and antibody production such as using phage display libraries.

Problems with ChIP

Problems with ChIP - Antibody Forum

Problems with ChIP - Antibody Forum. Ask and discuss antibody suppliers, antibody related techniques and protocols, and antibody production such as using phage display libraries.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 2,395, Level: 31 Points: 2,395, Level: 31 Points: 2,395, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unhappy Problems with ChIP

Hi Everyone!!
A fellow researcher has stressed to me that it is very important to empirically determine the proper antibody concentration to use in order to get the best results... so my question is how how would one go about this?

So far I have been adding 5 micrograms and incubating overnite, but I'm not really sure what the negative effects will be if I am adding way too much (maybe i only need 1 microgram?) What would too much antibody do to my results?

Also I do not have a very large supply of my starting material (primary keratinocyte culture), therefore I need to be very conservative in my approach unfortunately, but if i did have an endless supply how would one perform and verify an antibody titer?

Any suggestions... please post!
Thanks

Last edited by admin; 01-06-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Post-Doc
Points: 5,313, Level: 49 Points: 5,313, Level: 49 Points: 5,313, Level: 49
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Problems with ChIP

Hi Denise!
I suggest that if you want to titer the antibody but don't want to use up too much of your chromatin you could always try decreasing the different volumes of: chromatin, dilution buffer, beads, elution buffer, etc. Also you may not be able to run very many PCRs with the resulting material but you don't really need to if you are just looking at one or two genomic regions.

Good Luck

Tags
chip , problems