Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques > Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum. A forum to discuss electrophoresis staining, troubleshooting, and development of films for DNA and RNA gels.

Low yield DNA using gel electrophoresis isolation

Low yield DNA using gel electrophoresis isolation - Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum

Low yield DNA using gel electrophoresis isolation - Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum. A forum to discuss electrophoresis staining, troubleshooting, and development of films for DNA and RNA gels.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Low yield DNA using gel electrophoresis isolation

Hi all,

I'm trying to isolate and pruify a linearised plasmid for use in transcription later.

After a restriction digest, running on 1% low melting point gel, cutting out and using a Qiagen kit to purify - I'm getting a DNA yield of about 10%!

I think it's a problem with my gel since the samples look strange. After running, the bands look quite dragg-y, they're not clean at all. Also, I stain by washing in 2% ethidium bromide in 1% TAE after running the gel - and my bands look really odd. Under UV, you can see an arc type shape coming from the well and settling mostly at the top of the gel.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be??

Thanks

Tags
dna , dna yield , electrophoresis , gel , gel electrophoresis , isolation , low , yield