Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques > Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum. A forum to discuss electrophoresis staining, troubleshooting, and development of films for DNA and RNA gels.

TBE Gel Loading Technique

TBE Gel Loading Technique - Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum

TBE Gel Loading Technique - Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum. A forum to discuss electrophoresis staining, troubleshooting, and development of films for DNA and RNA gels.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question TBE Gel Loading Technique

Hi

Has any one tried loading a TBE precast gel and only then immersing it in running buffer and starting it off?
This is probably a stupid question but i have to ask since I haven't a lot of experience in gels and their loading. I was just thinking that my suggestiong would be simpler!

Any thoughts ?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:56 AM
M.D/Ph.D
Points: 3,734, Level: 40 Points: 3,734, Level: 40 Points: 3,734, Level: 40
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Default Re: TBE Gel Loading Technique

Physically not convenient: the electrophoresis buffer (TBE in this case) would displace the samples on the wells when you submerge the gel. This will cause a mess with the samples, probably mixing them up.

In few words, I wouldn't dare. If you anyway try it, please post what happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to luisillo For This Useful Post:
admin (05-18-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Graduate Student
Points: 1,231, Level: 20 Points: 1,231, Level: 20 Points: 1,231, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: TBE Gel Loading Technique

People in our lab do this routinely and it works for them. I prefer the standard method of loading the samples when the gel is in the buffer though.

Give it a go and see if it works! That's the only way to know for sure.

If you really want to speed up loading your gel, look for combs that are compatible with multi-channel pipettes so you can load several samples at once. I would love to have one of these when it's time to load 6x 96 well plates for Southern blot screening.

Tags
gel , loading , tbe , technique