Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques > Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum. A forum to discuss electrophoresis staining, troubleshooting, and development of films for DNA and RNA gels.

DNA ladder is at wrong MW's

DNA ladder is at wrong MW's - Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum

DNA ladder is at wrong MW's - Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum. A forum to discuss electrophoresis staining, troubleshooting, and development of films for DNA and RNA gels.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Pipette Filler
Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default DNA ladder is at wrong MW's

Okay, I ran a 1% TBE gel and nothing is smeared or odd looking ....but my ladder is very off from the image that is on the companies website. Also the website said that the most intense band is a 500bp and you can clearly see that the lower intensity bands are more intensy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg messed up ladder.JPG (6.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Pipette Filler
Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1

Default Re: DNA ladder is at wrong MW's

Hi Breathoffire. The modern molecular markers are not robust, especially if you are staining in-gel and then running with the stain in the gel and deviate at all from the manufacturers instructions. If you want to quantify at all, then I personally would recommend back to basics and use Lamba DNA cut with HindIII, so that you know that you are not looking at some companies artifact! I wasted a lot of time with some of these commercial markers... To get reliable reproducible staining to quantify, best to run the gel without stain and then shake the gel gently with TBE and stain after running the gel. To ensure that the gel is good quality, make sure you boil the agarose a good couple of times and pour reasonably hot (meaning so you can touch the glass with your hand but only for a few seconds!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandra_T For This Useful Post:
breathoffire (06-26-2010)
Old 06-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Volunteer
Points: 1,375, Level: 21 Points: 1,375, Level: 21 Points: 1,375, Level: 21

Can you post a link to the company's picture of what the ladder is supposed to look like? That does seem pretty weird.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Pipette Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Can you post a link to the company's picture of what the ladder is supposed to look like? That does seem pretty weird.

Here's the company's website.
htt p://ww w.neb.com/ nebecomm/ products/prod uctN0467.asp
Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Pipette Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra_T View Post
Hi Breathoffire. The modern molecular markers are not robust, especially if you are staining in-gel and then running with the stain in the gel and deviate at all from the manufacturers instructions. If you want to quantify at all, then I personally would recommend back to basics and use Lamba DNA cut with HindIII, so that you know that you are not looking at some companies artifact! I wasted a lot of time with some of these commercial markers... To get reliable reproducible staining to quantify, best to run the gel without stain and then shake the gel gently with TBE and stain after running the gel. To ensure that the gel is good quality, make sure you boil the agarose a good couple of times and pour reasonably hot (meaning so you can touch the glass with your hand but only for a few seconds!)
This was really helpful. I just started at a new lab where they stain in-gel. Previously, I had only done out of gel staining so this really stumped me, because this is something I have never seen before.
Also, I didn't know that you could use lambda cut with HindI III. so thanks I learned something new.

Tags
agarose gel , bad , dna , electrophoresis , ladder , wrong