Go Back   Science Forums Biology Forum Molecular Biology Forum Physics Chemistry Forum > Molecular Research Topics Forum > Molecular Biology Techniques > Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum. A forum to discuss electrophoresis staining, troubleshooting, and development of films for DNA and RNA gels.

DNA does not migrate on gel

DNA does not migrate on gel - Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum

DNA does not migrate on gel - Agarose Gel Electrophoresis Forum. A forum to discuss electrophoresis staining, troubleshooting, and development of films for DNA and RNA gels.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Graduate Student
Points: 1,231, Level: 20 Points: 1,231, Level: 20 Points: 1,231, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: DNA does not migrate on gel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebetafemale View Post
Interesting. I'm having a similar problem, only my ladder won't migrate either! I've been trying to do this gel isolation for days now and each time I run the (50 microliter) PCR, load the samples onto the gel, run it at 51 constant volts for 2.5 hours, and they don't migrate! The ladder just looks like a smear near the well and there appears to be bands, but they are just a few millimeters below the well. I'm using a different loading dye for the ladder than I am for my samples, and the dye migrates just fine. The DNA just won't. I know it's a 1% gel because I mix it up fresh each time and measure out the agarose exactly. What the hell am I doing wrong????
Are you adding the correct amount of TBE or TAE buffer. If you make up a gel with just water and no buffer you get a result similar to what you describe.

What current do you have at 51 Volts ??? I would guess that if the buffering is ok it would run at around 50 mA at 50V.

Check your buffers.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Summer Student
Points: 3,196, Level: 36 Points: 3,196, Level: 36 Points: 3,196, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: DNA does not migrate on gel

Check the pH?

Tags
agarose gel , dna , dna migration , gel , migrate